These are the go to softwares for the AV on Mac, above Garage band and I-movie which are created for the domestic market or beginner's market and are not recognised as the standard professional editing software.
The interface is similar to that I have used previously. The first way I captured the test 1 was via Garage band to give a first idea, however trying to integrate garageband into a long term use would mean that sometimes the format doesn't easily transfer over to other programmes. So I decided to move the Audio editing over to Logic, where the tracks could be created in much the same way but would mean I was starting on learning one programme instead of two that needed to change and settle. I leapt in the deep end.
I have a fair understanding of Mics and I also knew the effects that I wanted on the narrative spoken word, only slight reverb to give a little bit of depth, and so set around setting up the mic and pop-shield (which takes out the natural plosives from Ps and Bs when speaking.
The mIc I used was a AKG c214 - a good quality condenser mic, suited to spoken word and vocals. the use of a dynamic mic would have lead to more post recording tinkering such as compression and EQ.
Under advisement from my Mentor _ Brendan O'Hare (my usual collaborative partner) I set up the mic just above the head height so that this would open the throat to allow the words to be as clear as they could.
Recording is linked via the Mic channel into the mixing desk / interface that then feeds into a channel and then is triggered to record and pause live.
Each track - in my case Test1 1/ test 1.2 test 1.3 were set on my laptop and my mentor clicked the recording on and off as the mic was away from the laptop.
Prior to this moment, HartleOHare's creative practice has very much assumed our skilled roles with myself handing words, imagery and Brendan as sound and Imagery, so this is new territory a bold move for me, as Brendan's expertise is sometimes intimidating but I embraced it as did he in only responding to how I wished it to be directed.
While reading the prose, since the first recording on Garage band, I had looked at the words, having gotten over the emotion of reading them for the first time and hearing them out loud. This also meant that if it the words at the time had been captured, I felt that areas in section 1 were very personal, some parts I felt would not be something I should share, and so changed the words to be less specific, both to protect dignity and others who may be close to this situation. I wrestled with this, the choice of words, I argued if I was censoring myself, not being true to myself.
When I recorded Test 2 sections, I then played around with underlay sounds, the idea was to have a light delicate major chord scale in the first piece, a slightly more random with the same underlying chord repetition, while the third piece would be intense with additional vocals to emphasise the ephemeral nature of the piece. The available instruments available on the synth in the studio was limited to piano/ keyboard sounds so were harsher than I thought, but worked with the narrative. To be explored further as needed.
These two sets of tracks were then added to a mix that has previously been shared in the blog 29.10.21.
I re-listened to the first test versions to see if I was happier with the new versions against the old. the new words didn't follow the natural rhythm of the original prose, so this was re-looked at and then rerecorded.
The new tracks were then adapted with some editing to some words which were unclear, this was minimal as I felt it was important to not mess too much with my intention of the pieces.
In terms of then importing the logic file to Final Cut Pro; The mix was exported, both the underlay and the vocal tracks had pan elements of this, and I found a mix that I felt was right in terms of the levels.
This was exported down on to the Macbook then imported into Final Cut to give a guideline for imagery input. This ws the first time I had ever used final cut pro to his level.